Thursday, October 14, 2010

DIY eDrum Build: Part 1

So I've decided to build my own electronic drumset for my studio. It's getting so playing drum parts with my MIDI keyboard just doesn't cut it anymore, so I've decided to upgrade.

A few days ago, my adventure began when I won a used Alesis D4 drum module off of eBay. This will be the heart of my rig, that will convert the signals from my pads into drum sounds and MIDI notes. I just ordered 10 piezo pickup elements that will convert drum hits on the pads into electricity. These will be soldered to cables, which will be plugged into the drum module. I'm probably gonna grab a used drum rack off eBay as well to hold the drums.

In a few days my module and piezos will get here, and it will be time for some experimentation with different pad materials and designs. Hopefully when this is finished, I will have a kit that I can use for practice, recording, and possibly live performance.

Should be fun! :-)

~Mac

2 comments:

Excelsior said...

Wow that's so cool!!! Post pics of how it turns out!!!
~Ash

MacMeister said...

Thank you! I shall :-) Still waiting for some items to get in before I can start building.