Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vita - Via Media

The rough translation of that is "life - the middle way".

It's one of the things I've been thinking about a lot lately. It seems as though everything in life, all our decisions, our beliefs, our opinions, is about finding some kind of Biblical, ethical, moral, or responsible middle ground between two extremes, neglecting neither.

Faith and works. Works and faith. Which is more important? Neither! One must have faith to be saved, but faith without works is dead.

One other thing that has become important in my life is future career choices. I have to find some kind of balance between doing what I love (music, audio and video production) and what I can use to best support my family. At times, these two interests seem to be in direct conflict - musicians and audio engineers have a hard time finding work and making money, but it seems like God has gifted me in those areas.

Balancing relationships and service with school and other personal pursuits is something that we must all deal with and decide about. It can be very hard to decide between building a relationship with friends or siblings and being "productive" and moving towards earning a degree.

How about you? How are you finding the Via Media?

~Mac

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

Engage people while you work. Life is about relationships - you can't just forget people while getting your degree. It may mean carving out fun time or just time to do nothing at all, just to BE.

MacMeister said...

Yup! Good advice!

Søren said...

"Vita - via media"... I really like that, Mac.
That's actually a topic that has stumped me/ spurred me on for years! It's not something I've found a perfect answer to yet. However, for now I try to find that 'happy medium' (a mix of faith & works, justice & mercy, etc.) by constantly asking God "is this right and good? Is this where I am to be and what I'm supposed to be doing?" Almost like asking Him all the time, "How's my driving, Lord?", like those tractor trailer bumper stickers. :)
And you know, He always answers me! Sometimes it comes in the form of my parents giving some well-needed advice, sometimes it comes from one of those 'doors' closing, when I was about to go through it.
"Life - the middle way" *is* life long journey, lived day by day, just like they say. :)

MacMeister said...

Thanks for your thoughts Hannah! I don't think any one of us will find a perfect answer; the most we can do is look to God to lead and guide us like you said.