Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Training to be Obsessed

ob·sess (b-ss, b-)
v. ob·sessed, ob·sess·ing, ob·sess·es
v.tr.
To preoccupy the mind of excessively.
v.intr.
To have the mind excessively preoccupied with a single emotion or topic.

Obsession is an idea that I have been learning about a lot recently. We have been going through a series on the Fruit of the Spirit in church, and last Sunday, the sermon was on 1 Corinthians 9:19-27, a passage about self-control. The analogy of an athlete training for a competition struck me in a fresh way. Our pastor asked us, "If you decided today that you were going to train for the Olympics, how would your life change during this coming week?" You would make changes in your diet, you would cut out activities that interfered with your training, because your eyes would be fixed on the goal. In the same way, we should have our eyes constantly fixed on the goal of sanctification, eternal life, and living the Christian life. Things that hinder us, even good things that keep us from the best things, must be sacrificed in order to attain the goal.

In my study group, we are going through Francis Chan's book Crazy Love, and the chapter for this session was The Profile of the Obsessed. Chan lists thirteen things that people obsessed with God display in their lives. It is challenging to look through a list like that and realize how little time I actually spend obsessed with God and the things of the Kingdom. However, I know that with the help of the Holy Spirit, I can become more conformed to His image, become more obsessed with him, and exercise self-control to attain the goal which is set before me.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2, ESV)

~Mac

3 comments:

Zoe said...

So true and very challenging. That is one of my absolute favorite verses - the one a guy yelled to me while hiking one day. :)

Søren said...

Wow, what a good reminder! I often say I'm 'obsessed' about many things, but I'm not sure if I ever truly put my mind to choosing to be *obsessed with Jesus* alone. Hm...

Thanks for sharing, Mac. That book, Crazy Love, will be next on my reading list!

Anonymous said...

You should read the book Obsessed by Ted DeKker.