Monday, August 8, 2011

Doing Penance

It seems so ancient - it conjures up images of ascetics whipping themselves, of pilgrims kneeling and kissing steps. But while physical penance is a thing of the past for most of us here in the 21st century, mental and emotional penance is a very easy trap to fall into.

I know it is for me.

After I commit a sin (especially one of the ones I commit over and over) and the Spirit convicts me, my first feeling is frustration, sadness, and sometimes anger. I quickly ask forgiveness from God. Then I often start doing penance in my mind. If I can only feel bad enough about myself for long enough, my negative feelings about my sin will disappear, and all will be right again. This attitude ruins my day every time.

But there are days - like today - when I really get it. All the penance in the world won't get me feeling right and being right with God. But Jesus performed the ultimate act of penance on the cross in my place, so now, when I receive forgiveness from God for a sin, I am free.

Free to live for Him again. Free to feel close to Him again. Free to experience the lightness of spirit that comes with knowing your sins are take care of.

There doesn't need to be some kind of waiting period, a time where I brush myself off and tidy myself up to be worthy of His affection again. It can begin the moment after I ask for and receive God's grace.

That's a freeing thing!

~Mac

5 comments:

Essie said...

*like* Thanks, WC, I really needed to hear that about now. :)

Kelsey said...

Ah, yes, I constantly have to remember this as well. Thanks for the reminder!

MacMeister said...

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad it was helpful :-)

Unknown said...

So true! Amen to this post.
*like*

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder! I needed that, too. Well written, too!

From your former English teacher :)