Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"But He Gives More Grace"

In devotions we're going through the book of Daniel, and today's reading was Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednigo's reply to the king's ultimatum: bow down or be burned! We were all struck by the conviction and faith in their reply. They accepted the fact that God could save them or choose not to, and they stood by their belief. This passage prompted some self-examination: what about us? What would our response be to such a dilemma? Each of us, if left to our own strength, would surely follow our earthly desires, deny our Lord, and save our earthly lives. I personally, even with the grace God has given me currently, do not see how I could possibly choose to do right in the face of such an agonizing death. But praise be to God for His sufficient grace in the midst of trials!

But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” (James 4:6)

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

These verses give me great comfort and encouragement as I look to what the future holds for me and for this country. In the face of persecution God will give us the grace we need to stand for Him when we could not humanly do so.

~Mac

4 comments:

Zoe said...

Oh wow, I was just thinking about that very thing this morning!

MacMeister said...

Scary and yet comforting to think about!

Caleb said...

Wow creepy. .. I read that yesterday morning as well....

MacMeister said...

That's interesting . . . I wonder what God is trying to tell us?