Monday, January 17, 2011

Persuaded to Post Poetry

Well, several other friends of mine have posted poetry on their blogs, so I have finally decided to follow suit and dust off one of my poems I wrote a few years ago that has never seen the light of day (I may pull out some of my OLD poems later):

It was running a few days late;

I couldn’t wait till it arrived.

Then the box finally came one day;

I grabbed it and hurried back inside.


It was my long-awaited “heart’s desire” -

The fulfillment I had always lacked.

For the next few weeks I was in heaven,

As I enjoyed this cure for emptiness.


But today I’m waiting once again -

The last one turned out to be a fake.

I’m hoping against hope that this new thing

Will satisfy my constant ache.


Why is it that things never satisfy?

My wish-list’s still just as long

Even after I’ve filled my life with stuff

That I thought would fill the void.


She and I, we felt that we

Were meant for each other

We’d laugh when we were together,

Because it covered up the need within.


That was months ago, now we’ve both moved on,

In search of a bigger and better thrill.

Our life together petered out,

Because we couldn’t keep each other filled.


Alone again, I feel the pain

- rising up from deep inside -

Of a life that’s been lived in vain,

I desperately seek again to try to find


For the record I never had a relationship like the one in the poem/song, but I have seen, heard about, and read about many such relationships and I thought it tied in well to the first part of the poem/song.


I thought about ending the poem with the fourth verse as kind of a chorus but I didn't get any farther than this. I also have no idea what I should title it :-P


So anyway, there's one of my poems - rough though it may be :-P Feedback or suggestions anyone?


~Mac

5 comments:

India Edith said...

mmmm - what a great poem, Mac. Unfortunately, it's so true :( But you made it flow really well, and I like how it's phrased. Nice job!

Hattie said...

*thumbs up* Mac! I think it's a wonderful poem, and like India said, you made it flow really well : )

MacMeister said...

@India: Yeah it is so true. I wrote it when I was experiencing that burnout you get when you spend so much time focused on one thing and then when you get it it fails to satisfy you.

@India & Hattie: Thanks for the encouraging comments! :-) It's one of the first poems that I've done that I've considered good enough to even think about posting online :-P But even the best writers only write one really good poem out of four or five so at least I'm in the same boat as everyone else (relatively speaking).

Søren said...

Often, I think all we want to hear as far as feedback on creative work, like poetry, is to know that someone thought it good, and, that someone could possibly identify with it.

I can say both; it's good and I can definitely relate to that poem, Mac. :)

"Encore, please!"

MacMeister said...

I appreciate that encouragement Hannah! You're right: those are the aims of a creative endeavor: to produce quality work that resonates with people. A good skill to learn in our lives as witnesses for Christ to a world that desperately wants precisely what He can provide, and one that I will continue to cultivate and perfect in my life with God's help!

When do we get to see your poetry? ;-)