Saturday, January 15, 2011

Snow Day! Part Two

Our second snow day involved different activities than the first day, mostly because the snow had lost its "stickiness" and was more icy. We did a good bit of sledding down the sides of the steep ravines in our woods, and towards the end of the day I turned to snow sculpture. We built one half of a chess set and I built a Carcassonne man! :-) (For all of you who haven't heard of Carcassonne: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne_(board_game))

For the chess set, I basically looked for chunks of snow that looked roughly like the shapes I wanted to make and then "chiseled" it into its finished form with a hand trowel.

^ Here is one of the knights (horses) I built for the chess set.
^ The King!
^The full chess set! Back left to right: rook, knight, bishop, king, queen, bishop, knight, rook. The front row is obviously all pawns.
^ The Carcassonne man under construction. (I made him out of a biggish single snowball)
^ The finished product! :-)

~Mac

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Looks like you guys had fun! I like the chess set! :)